Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Disco Evening


Last friday, Caleb attended his first disco party, in school. He was very excited, and had been looking forward to it since he signed up 2 weeks before. I must admit I was also rather intrigued by this event, as I have never heard of a disco party for 5-8 year olds, let alone one organised and held in school. I mean... are we really expecting 5-8 year olds to jive to the music, break-dance etc? Would they actually recognise any of the music, and what would the DJ actually play?? I therefore did what most kay poh and overly protective mothers would do.... I rearranged my work schedule for that day to make sure I was not working, so that we could all check out the disco together.

After a bit of a rest after school, Caleb got ready for the party. He
wanted to go dressed like Justin Bieber, so Dad had to get into the picture.... this mum has no idea what Justin Bieber looks like, let alone what he would wear. Sigh....

We were on our way. Half way to school, we realised we forgot to bring the entry ticket (it got left in his schoolbag), but all's well that ends well, the nice lady at the counter took our word for it, gave him a glow in the dark wristband and a bottle of mineral water with his name labelled on it, and let him in. We were all set to party!

We made our way to the Italian room, where the disco was held. Every effort had been made to set this room up like a real disco. The windows had been blacked out to darken the room, and there were strobe lights and a few small disco balls hanging from the ceiling. The DJ (who was also the bouncer for the night) was playing Katy Perry, and some of the kids were swaying to the music, and doing funny moves.


Caleb walked around and looked for his friends, and they started in search for the stalls at the side which were selling lollies and sweets. I must say this event was really organised for the kids in mind.... it was reasonably priced (at $5, which included entrance fee, 1 glow in the dark wrist band, 1 bottle of mineral water, and 1 hotdog with bread), and there were stalls at the side selling sweets at 5 cents per piece, or 50 cents for a small bag full. Also lollipops....All very affordable ;-)


Dylan was totally fascinated by the party. With eyes fixed and glazed, he refused offers to go to the playground, but instead chose to stick around at the disco to check out what the big kids were doing.... what he could look forward to when he was "of age"..... I secretly saw him swaying slightly to the music, and taking in all the sights.....

Half an hour into the event, the children were hustled out into the courtyard for sausages and bread, and this was when it really hit me.... my little baby has grown up! He initially stood around with me and Elijah, and we were talking while he was eating. Subsequently, he noticed a few of his friends, and moved over to join them. Watching him from across the courtyard, I could see my baby trying to find himself, trying to fit in, hanging out with his friends, and growing up.... fast. Time has really flown by. Wasn't it not so long ago when he first said his first words, took his first steps, and ventured into unknown territory holding on to my hand for reassurance? I felt a sudden sadness, that time had just zoomed by so quickly, and I don't seem to have captured it all... but then a greater sense of pride filled me, coz I could see that my little baby had grown up, and was now a more confident individual, with a kind and big heart.....

A, B, D and E subsequently left the party for dinner at Macdonalds next door to school, so that C could have some privacy and some fun with his friends.

I asked Caleb later after the disco ended why he didn't dance.... and his answer? "I did dance.... but not when you guys were around..... don't you know the rule, no dancing when your parents are around!" LOL!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment