Monday, February 28, 2011

A month after the big move


I was to have updated this blog once we got to Australia and regularly thereafter. I was to have more free time than when I was working. I was to have time to stop to smell the roses.

Alas, often things do not work out as planned. It has taken more than a month before I found time to blog. My typical day is longer than when I was at work. I usually get up by 7:30am and don't get into bed until after midnight. The upside is that I fall asleep every night without any difficulty. And the most common fragrance that wafts through the air is lemon zest from the various floor and dish washing detergents.

Yet, I seem to enjoy the change and can't help but believe that its better than I could have ever hoped it would be. I keep thinking - I should have done this earlier. I don't enjoy doing the household chores and changing soiled nappies. I think only masochistic people suffering from severe boredom can enjoy such things. But its great spending lots of time with the family. It is wonderful watching the boys grow up (although there is a strange sadness that they are growing up too quickly).

To help preserve the memories, I was inspired to start this blog again. Nothing more inspiring than to start with food!!

I do enjoy cooking so the boys are forced to enjoy my cooking. The preparation starts with marketing - which no longer means a lunch at a decent restaurant but actually going to the market to buy raw produce. The stuff at the markets (Vic Mart and Footscray) are really fresh and the selection is eye-poppingly wide.








If we want it any fresher, we send C to the farm.
And after working so hard squeezing the udders, C needs to replenish his strength -






(Those were pics of C eating Claypot Rice (cooked in steel pot), Grilled Ginger Teriyaki Chicken, and Roast Leg of Lamb.)


























I've also tried my hand at Jiang Chong Veal, Steamed Chicken with Ham and those red little herbs, Carrots and cabbage soup and Hainanese Chicken Rice.



No comments:

Post a Comment